|Dulaney-Browne Library||Ask a Librarian
Chat is unavailable at this time.
Finding Songs in Collections
The Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology
Collections of solos and duets for various voice ranges. A keyword search brings these up in the Dulaney-Browne library catalog; the scores are shelved at M1507 .S617. This series has thorough contents notes in the Dulaney-Browne library catalog, so searching by song title will also work. See also the complete contents list for the series.
Other helpful subject word searches in the Dulaney-Browne library catalog
· Musicals -- Excerpts -- Vocal scores with piano
· Songs (Medium voice) with piano
· Songs (Low voice) with piano [and so on for different voice ranges]
· Popular songs [will retrieve some musicals, jazz]
· Songs, English [or other language]
Popular song index / Patricia Pate Havlice. Methuen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1975. Location: Leichter Listening Library 016.784 H299p & suppls. 1978, 1984, 1989
Great song thesaurus / Roger Lax. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1989. Location: Dulaney Browne Library 4th floor Circulating Materials 784.5 L85g
Song index; an index to more than 12,000 songs in 177 song collections comprising 262 volumes Location: Leichter Listening Library 016.784 Se439s
Musical Treasures Consortium provides online access to the world's most valued music manuscripts and print materials, held at the most renowned music archives, in order to further research and scholarship. Researchers can search or browse materials, access metadata about each item, and view digital images of the treasure via each custodial archive's Web site. The consortial collection will grow as members add more materials.
· Library of Congress: Historic Sheet Music Collection, 1800-1922: 9000 pieces of music, including both classical works and popular songs
· Library of Congress: African-American Sheet Music, 1850-1920: 1300 titles representing African-Americana from the sheet music collections of Brown University
· Sheet Music Consortium: sheet music from the collections of the Library of Congress, Duke University, Indiana University, the Maine Music Box, Johns Hopkins University, the National Library of Australia, and UCLA
· 19th-Century California Sheet Music (UC Berkeley): 2700 titles published in California between 1852 and 1900
· Digital Archive of Popular American Music (UCLA): selected sheet music from UCLA's 450,000 item Archive of Popular American Music (1790-present). As well as more general popular music, a particular strength of the collection is music composed for theatre, film, and television
· Lester S. Levy Collection of Sheet Music (Johns Hopkins): over 29,000 pieces of music (1790-present); music published after 1923 is not available online
· Historic American Sheet Music (Duke): 3042 titles, published between 1850 and 1920
· Mutopia: downloadable sheet music based on public-domain sources
· Online Music Scores (maintained by Gordon J. Callon, Acadia University): a directory of links to free online scores
· Duke University Libraries: A directory of libraries and archives with significant sheet music collections. Some collections provide online indexes or scores.
· Indiana University: Databases Including Scores/Sheet Music: A non-comprehensive list of websites with online sheet music
· Art Song Central is principally an archive and directory of free, printable sheet music for singers and voice teachers. An emphasis is placed on standard classical and traditional repertoire.
Musicnotes Download Sheet Music. From $5.25. With Over 110,000 Available Songs.
Internet Broadway Database records of productions from the beginnings of New York theater until today.
ASCAP's Ace on the web Database of song titles, composers, lyricists, performers, and publishers. Includes publishers' addresses.
Choral Public Domain Library is an archive of choral sheet music and includes a wiki with texts and translations of the availble works.
Lied, Art Song, and Choral Text Page is an archive of texts used in 89,860 Lieder and other classical art songs (Kunstlieder, mélodies, canzoni, ???????, canciones, liederen, canções, sånger, laulua, písne, piosenki, etc.) as well as in many choral works and other types of classical vocal pieces.The collection currently indexes 56,669 texts and includes 11,387 translations to English, French, Italian, Dutch, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, and others