Greetings Campus Community,
Good morning and welcome to Spring 2013! While cool, gray, misty weather accompanied our first week back from winter break, the resumption of classes on Monday and our many "larger education" (extra-curricular) events to follow, point to a bright, fruitful spring.
Here are a few of the events I am looking forward to – let me know what's on your "must attend" list at Oklahoma City University!
- Wanda Bass Day – The School of Music will celebrate our beloved friend and School of Music's namesake, Wanda L. Bass, on the 9th annual Wanda Bass Day Jan. 15.
- OCU Basketball Alumni Night – We host Sooner Athletic Conference rival Oklahoma Baptist next Saturday, Jan. 19, at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. In conjunction with the games, we are hosting an alumni reception and inviting our graduates back home to cheer on the Stars!
- Eugenie Grunewald – This year's Distinguished Artists Series continues at 3 p.m. Jan. 27 with Eugenie Grunewald, winner of the Enrico Caruso International Voice Competition. The mezzo-soprano has earned recognition for her dramatic abilities and for her vocal artistry. Click here for more information.
- "Treasure Island" – TheatreOCU will co-produce James DeVita's adaptation of this classic Jan. 31 to Feb. 3 with Oklahoma Children's Theatre. Find out more here.
- Law and Medicine Lecture – The School of Law will host "Extinction by Design" with Professor Maxwell J. Mehlman for the Integris Health Law and Medicine Lecture at 5 p.m. Feb. 4. See more here.
- "Switch" – OCU's Meinders School of Business and the Karl F. and June S. Martin Family Foundation will present a complimentary screening of "Switch" at 11 a.m. Feb. 4 and a related lecture by Dr. Scott Tinker at 11 a.m. Feb. 5 on "Unconventional Oil and Gas Reservoirs: Mountain or Molehill?" For more information and to register click here.
- Nurse Educators Conference – The Kramer School of Nursing will bring nurse educators to campus Feb. 22 for its 9th annual Nurse Educators Conference. The conference will be held in the Kramer School of Nursing for the first time thanks to the completion of the third floor of the school.
- "The Barber of Seville" – The Oklahoma Opera and Music Theater Company's season continues Feb. 22 to 24 with "The Barber of Seville." For more information, click here.
- Adam Hamilton – OCU's Martha Jean Lemon Lecture Series will bring the Rev. Adam Hamilton, the United Methodist Reporter's United Methodist of the Year, to the Bishop W. Angie Smith Chapel at 1 p.m. Feb.28. He will also give two presentations at Church of the Servant. Watch for more information about these important lectures.
- Marian Wright Edelman – The Distinguished Speakers Series will bring Children's Defense Fund Founder and President Marian Wright Edelman to campus March 6. Read more about this advocate for disadvantaged Americans here.
- Spring Show – From March 14 to 16, the always-entertaining American Spirit Dance Company will celebrate American dance from Hollywood to Broadway. See more here.
- "Mass" – Oklahoma City University's Bass School of Music will partner with the Canterbury Choral Society for the Oklahoma premiere of Leonard Bernstein's "Mass" April 13 at the Civic Center Music Hall. See more on this once-in-a-lifetime performance here.
I am very much looking forward to this semester. Thank you for your hard work to make Oklahoma City University such an interesting place to work and learn!